Last Update: June 9th, 2016.
Internet censorship in China is one the most severe in the world. It is based on a big variety of laws and administrative regulations.
Internet limits in China are considered more extensive and more advanced than in any other country in the world. The governmental authorities not only block website content but also monitor the Internet access of individuals. This called The Great Firewall of China. Today there are about 30,000–50,000 internet police in China employed to enforce Chinese internet laws.
No unit or individual may use the Internet to create, replicate, retrieve, or transmit the following kinds of information:
- Inciting to resist or breaking the Constitution or laws or the implementation of administrative regulations;
- Inciting to overthrow the government or the socialist system;
- Inciting division of the country, harming national unification;
- Inciting hatred or discrimination among nationalities or harming the unity of the nationalities;
- Making falsehoods or distorting the truth, spreading rumors, destroying the order of society;
- Promoting feudal superstitions, sexually suggestive material, gambling, violence, murder;
- Terrorism or inciting others to criminal activity; openly insulting other people or distorting the truth to slander people;
- Injuring the reputation of state organizations;
- Other activities against the Constitution, laws or administrative regulations.
The most popular methods on Intenet blocking in China:
- IP blocking. The access to a certain IP address is denied. If the target Web site is hosted in a shared hosting server, all Web sites on the same server will be blocked.
- DNS filtering and redirection. The DNS doesn’t resolve domain names or returns incorrect IP addresses.
- URL filtering.
- Packet filtering
And several others methods.
Also it is known that China blocks many VPN service providers.
Among blocked sites are: Instant messengers like Viber, Skype, Line, WhatsApp and others, Facebook, Youtube, Google Service and many more.
That is why it is better to test it before buying.