Anti-Cyber Crime Law is not new. It works in Kingdom since 26 March 2007.
Let’s consider the types of violations people can do without even knowing that.
Here is the original Anti-Cyber Crime Law on Saudi Arabia government website. http://www.citc.gov.sa/English/RulesandSystems/CITCSyste/Documents/LA_004_%20E_%20Anti-Cyber%20Crime%20Law.pdf
The main goals of this law is really clear:
- Enhancement of information security.
- Protection of rights pertaining to the legitimate use of computers and information networks.
- Protection of public Interest, morals, and common values.
- Protection of national economy.
For the next cyber crimes person can expect such punishment as imprisonment for a period not exceeding one year and a fine not exceeding live hundred thousand riyals:
- Spying on, interception or reception of data transmitted through an information network or a computer without legitimate authorization.
- Unlawful access to computers with the intention to threaten or blackmail any person to compel him to take or refrain from taking an action, be it lawful or unlawful.
- Unlawful access to a web site, or hacking a web site with the intention to change its design, destroy or modify it, or occupy its URL.
- Invasion of privacy through the misuse of camera-equipped mobile phones and the like.
- Defamation and infliction of damage upon others through the use of various information technology devices.
The following crimes are punished by Imprisonment for a period not exceeding three years and a fine not exceeding two million :
- Acquisition of movable property or bonds for oneself or others or signing such bonds through fraud or use of false name or identity.
- Illegally accessing bank or credit data, or data pertaining to ownership of securities with the intention of obtaining data, information, funds or services offered.
Some of the next violations will lead to imprisonment for a period not exceeding four years and a fine not exceeding three million riyals or to either punishment:
- Unlawful access to computers with the intention to delete, erase, destroy, leak, damage, alter or redistribute private data
- Causing the information network to halt or breakdown, or destroying, deleting, leaking or altering existing or stored programs or data.
- Obstruction of access to, distortion, and causing the breakdown of services by any means.
The most important part for usual Internet users!
- Production, preparation, transmission, or storage of material impinging on public order, religious values, public morals, and privacy, through the information network or computers.
- The construction or publicizing of a website on the information network or computer to promote or facilitate human trafficking.
- The preparation, publication, and promotion of material for pornographic or gambling sites which violates public morals.
Can lead to five years imprisonment and a fine three million riyals!
Be careful and think before writing or sharing post is social networks!
We wrote about a man who was deported from the country for such cyber crime.
The crimes below are considered as the most willful violations:
- The construction or publicizing of a website on the information network or on a computer for terrorist organizations to facilitate communication with leaders or members of such organizations, finance them, promote their ideologies, publicize methods of making incendiary devices or explosives, or any other means used in terrorist activities.
- Unlawful access to a web site or an information system directly, or through the information network or any computer with the Intention of obtaining data jeopardizing the internal or external security of the State or its national economy.
They are punished by 10 year imprisonment and a fine not exceeding five million riyals.
So now you can understand how serious in Internet censure in Saudi Arabia and how important is caring about your on-line security and privacy!